To be eligible, the Applicant must:
- Be receiving housing services from Fort Worth Housing Solutions (FWHS) for one (1) year prior to completing an application.
- Be current on all financial obligations related to the FWHS (no payment agreements accepted – applies to head of household only).
- Have a high school diploma/GED (high school seniors may apply).
- Plan to enroll in a postsecondary institution for the upcoming academic year in one of the following:
- Associate’s Degree program at a non-profit postsecondary institution.
- Bachelor’s Degree program at a non-profit postsecondary institution.
- Vocational or Technical certification program lasting 9 months or longer offered by a non-profit postsecondary institution.
Guidelines for Applicants:
- Entries will be accepted via an on-line entry form only. Applicants may enter only once. Duplicate entries will be removed; this includes any entries that are determined to be variations of the same entry.
- Deadline for submission is April 30th. No late entries will be accepted.
- Eligible entries will be separated into two (2) categories based on type of assistance received from the FWHS — Low Income Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher assistance.
- One (1) recipient will be drawn at random from each category listed above.
- Chosen recipients will be notified via phone and mail, then given ten (10) business days to provide proof of enrollment at an eligible postsecondary institution. Note: If verification is not provided as requested, a new name will be drawn from the respective category.
- Checks will be made payable to the student and the school and mailed directly to the financial aid office of the designated school.
- Recipients of the fund commit to using the award towards current tuition and fees. Funds will not be available to pay fees or dues the recipient may owe from a previous semester.
- Recipients acknowledge this award is a onetime benefit for the current school term and must be used within one (1) year of acceptance.
- Past recipients may continue to apply yearly as long as all eligibility criteria are met. Drawings will be random each year; hence, there is no guarantee for continued funding.
- Recipients agree to have their names and photos used for promotional materials, and posted to the website and social media pages associated with the Barbara Holston Education Fund and FWHS.